Return

Our Story

   

    The First Baptist Church of Raton was planted in 1881 by what was at the time the only other Baptist Church in the State of New Mexico – FBC Las Vegas. Since that time the church has overcome countless hardships ranging from the Great Depression to the heartbreak of a church split. But as we look back over 14 decades of gospel ministry what stands out are the victories, including a successful church plant (FBC Maxwell) and countless new disciples of Jesus Christ. We know that all of this – both the good and the bad – is from Him, through Him, and to Him.

      Here’s one story from our past to illustrate what FBC Raton is all about. When a church in Deming, NM requested a copy of our rules and by-laws “a motion was made and carried to send a New Testament to the Deming church… some members were incensed to think there were any other rules!” While times have changed and we are now legally obligated to have formal by-laws, the same spirit of radical reliance on the Bible fills our people. We are convinced that we can do no better than to be a New Testament church in this 21 st century world.

Standing upon the foundation of our past and facing the challenges and uncertainties of our future, the words of Hebrews 12:1-2 come to mind: “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

1906

This building was dedicated on February 18, 1906 it was built in the same place as the previous building.

1951 – Present

This building, the current one, was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1951. It’s located on the Northwest corner of South 3rd St. and Rio Grande Ave.

Scroll to Top
X